Energy Assistance Program (EAP)

Energy Assistance Program Overview

The energy assistance program (EAP) provides financial assistance to low-income households to maintain utility services during the winter heating season.  This is a HEATING program.

The United Way of Central Indiana, Connect2Help, and the John Boner Neighborhood Center are partnering to deliver the Marion County Energy Assistance Program during the 2014-2015 program year.

Income eligible families are provided a one-time benefit to their heating and electric companies to help offset the high cost of utility bills during the winter months.  Households must reside in Marion County and must have an energy burden.  Meaning the heat and/or electric utility expenses are the responsibility of the household.

The amount of energy assistance benefit is based on household size and income, type of dwelling (home, apartment, mobile home, etc.), housing status (subsidized or non-subsidized), at-risk factors (elderly, disabled or children age 0-5) and fuel source (gas, electric, bulk fuel, or heating included in rent).


All members of the household must be United States Citizens, U.S. Nationals or qualified aliens.  Every household member age 1 or over must have a social security card. 

Renters where both heat and electric are included in rent will NOT be eligible for an energy assistance benefit.

Income Requirements

Income eligibility for Energy Assistance benefits (heating, crisis and summer cooling) is limited to households with a combined annual income at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.  See Chart Below.

Household Size Monthly Income Annual Income

HOUSEHOLD SIZE <50% <100% <150%
Month Year Month Year Month Year
1 486.25 5,835 972.50 11, 670 1,458.75 17,505
2 655.42 7,865 1,310.83 15,730 1,966.25 23,595
3 824.58 9,895 1,649.17 19,790 2,473.75 29,685
4 993.75 11,925 1,987.50 23,850 2,981.25 35,775
5 1,162.92 13,955 2,325.83 27,910 3,488.75 41,865
6 1,332.08 15,985 2,664.17 31,970 ,996.25 47,955
7 1,501.25 18,015 3,002.50 36,030 4,503.75 54,045
8 1,670.42 20,045 3,340.83 40,090 5,011.25 60,135

Appointment Scheduling

On October 1, 2015, applicants can schedule appointments 24 hours a day/seven days per week through Connect2Help (call 211) or through an online portal:

Appointments will begin November 3, 2014 and continue through May 15, 2015 OR WHENEVER FUNDING RUNS OUT, whichever comes first. 

In addition to scheduled appointments, applicants request a mail-in application (call 211) and submit the completed application through the mail.   

Required Documentation

In order to process an application the following MUST be provided for each household.

Household Verification

Name, Date of Birth and Social Security card for all household members.

Valid Driver’s License or Photo Identification card for all household members age 18 and over.

Utility Verification

Copy of the current heating bill AND electric bill in the name of a household member 18 and older.

Housing Verification

Renters must provide either a copy of the current Lease Agreement (dated within the last 24 months) OR a Landlord Affidavit completed and signed by applicant AND by the renter’s landlord.

If a current Lease Agreement is not available print a Landlord Affidavit  and have your landlord complete and sign. 

Income Verification – All household members age 18 and older must submit proof of income for the past 12 months.

Any household member age 18 or older that worked at the same job for the past 12 months may submit their most recent Pay Stub.

Any household member age 18 or older receiving Social Security, SSI, or SSDI may bring an Award Letter or bank statement clearly showing the Social Security deposit amount.

Any household member age 18 or older that has no income for the past 12 months must bring a Work One Wage and Unemployment statement.

Any household member age 18 or older that received Unemployment Income during the past 12 months must bring in a Work One Wage and Unemployment statement. 

Any household member age 18 or older that worked some (but not all) of the past 12 months must bring a Work One Wage and Unemployment statement.

High School and Full Time College Students that are 18 and older must submit a current class schedule, or current report card, that shows their full time status. (College students must have 12 or more credit hours).

All Work One Wage and Unemployment statements must be less than 60 days old.